If you cause damage to the road network, such as a barrier, you can expect to receive a bill for the attendance, repair and administration. But
- how much should you be charged and
- is the bill correct?
The answer to ‘1’ is ‘how long is a piece of string’ and to ‘2’ … unlikely!
The principal issues facing the Public Authority responsible for £billions in public funds, that “turns over £300,000 an hour in service sector prices or works”* appear to be:
- pursuing recovery of public money paid to contractors without thought
- no prices agreed between the Authority and its contractors for works – apparently, a price list has been overlooked on every contract since 2012
- an inability to obtain information from these contractors
- a backlog of claims to 2014
*Jim O’Sullivan Highways England CEO 02/2019