Balfour Beatty & Leicester City Council Rates
An FoIA request to better understand the difference between ‘mates rates’ the contractor charges to their Public Authority employers and the far higher rates the contractor charges to Third Parties (drivers, fleets, hauliers and insurers) for conducting the same work, using the same resources.
Balfour Beatty was selected as preferred bidder by Leicester City. The contract includes:
- The installation of new street furniture eg. guard rails, traffic signs, bollards and lighting
- Reactive repairs to street furniture
05/04/2019 – The request which can be found here, was refused by the Council, however, at the direction of the ICO, the information was released:Freedom of information response:
5. The rates charged to the council and TP’s and make up during the contract
a. An Operative – road worker – £11.65 per hour
b. a 2.5T van – £3.53 per hour
c. 7 an 18T TM Rig – HGV lorry with hydraulic crane- £20.08 per hour
The information was sought for two reasons:
- to demonstrate ‘reasonable’ rates for the above and
- to establish the existence of a schedule of rates
Balfour Beatty Mott MacDonald have informed a Court (judgement – registered users) the is such a set of rates.
We also sought the last complete Balfour Beatty or j/v schedule of rates for operatives, plant and
materials, this detail can be found here – Schedule of Rates: Dayworks 2018-19